The Valleys Regional Park
Parc Rhanbarthol y Cymoedd
Created from a former coal spoil area, Parc Penallta offers spectacular views from its high point observatory. It is home to ‘Sultan’ the pit pony, the UK’s largest figurative earth sculpture. Three waymarked trails guide visitors though woodland and grasslands where Skylarks and Lapwings breed.
The project created new access to the Country Park with coach parking provision and 1 km of new access trails. The work comprised a phased approach:
1) Clearance - Undertook vegetative clearance prior to main contract.
2) Ecological Works - Erected newt fencing.
3) Ecological Destructive Survey - Provided monitoring and removal of any Great Crested Newts for initial works to a depth of one metre
4) Asbestos removal
5) Land Form - Create desired landform throughout reclamation and remediation works utilising suitable material.
6) Infrastructure - Constructed drainage, paving and parking facilities and entrance point.
7) Seeding - Sowed grass swathe
8) Landscaping - Undertook structure planting and access works.
VRP ERDF INFRASTRUCTURE AND LANDSCAPE PROJECTS
PROJECT SPONSORS AND PARTNERS
Recycled materials used within the infrastructure and hard working surfacing works. Materials and stock for the soft landscaping sourced locally, through a major composting facility within half a mile of the site which provided the required mulch.